Go Back   Properly Promoted > Starscream & Friends > Other Sports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Send a message via AIM to Len Grimey Send a message via Skype™ to Len Grimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendomark View Post
Boston needs to win Game 6, Orlando is trying to creep back into the series.
I think we're two games past "trying" right now.

They stand on the brink of becoming just the FOURTH team in NBA history to even force a Game 7 after dropping the first three in a Best of Seven series. What should petrify Boston fans is...

Orlando's good enough to become the first team to fall behind 0-3 and WIN a series after falling in such a hole.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Well, after letting Orlando take two straight, Boston decides to Man Up and make Orlando vanish. They recapture the Eastern Conference Championship which was taken from them by the Magic just one year ago.

Now tonight, in what might be Doug Collins' final broadcast (until this Philly thing goes shitside up on him in three years or so), Los Angeles tries to put the final nail in Phoenix's coffin.

Winner of this series will host the Celts in Game 1 on Thursday night. Sorry, bout yo damn luck TNA.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Nate Robinson was big for the Celtics last night. Who would have thought when the playoffs started they would be back in the Finals and have a good chance to win it?

I'm believing in the Suns to take Game 6.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM
NWAMike

The Celtics played a great game last night. Robinson, Pierce, and don't forget Ray Allen came through big time.

IMO, Allen is the best 3-point shooter in the game.

And there is no SI Cover Curse. The day I got it in the mail, they won.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:41 PM
INTERNET GANGSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAA View Post
And there is no SI Cover Curse.
Except that Rondo (who is on the cover) spent a good deal of time laying on the floor with ice on his back.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
NWAMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEN View Post
Except that Rondo (who is on the cover) spent a good deal of time laying on the floor with ice on his back.
I know, but they have a week to rest, so he'll be ready by then, hopefully.

But back to the finals itself, a lot of pundits were thinking that David Stern deep down wants Boston/LA, because of the ratings it will get for the league, and of course money in Stern's pocket. It's like with LeBron going to the Knicks, he probably wants that to happen, since New York is the largest market in the country and of course the Knicks get on national tv more during the season, which would equal major ad revenue.

Hey, it doesn't matter to me, it's a business. Even real sports are a business, just like pro wrestling, movies, and tv shows.

Last edited by MAA : 05-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Quote:
I know, but they have a week to rest, so he'll be ready by then, hopefully.

But back to the finals itself, a lot of pundits were thinking that David Stern deep down wants Boston/LA, because of the ratings it will get for the league, and of course money in Stern's pocket. It's like with LeBron going to the Knicks, he probably wants that to happen, since New York is the largest market in the country and of course the Knicks get on national tv more during the season, which would equal major ad revenue.

Hey, it doesn't matter to me, it's a business. Even real sports are a business, just like pro wrestling, movies, and tv shows.
I was curious as to how long it'd be before someone that overly idealogic notion of "LeBron to the Knicks" and go fig, MAA does it.

LeBron to the Knicks is a pipe dream if nothing else for the following reasons...

A) It's too much work for one man to do on his own. There's no real foundation that LeBron can add on to. If he goes there, it's essentially Cleveland NY, with a better coach and an older arena.
B) What exactly are the selling points to playing for the Knicks? If you can name any, you're a better man than me, but let me ask another question. If playing for the Knicks was so damn great, why haven't they been able to attract better free agents than what they've ended up with over the years?

Answer's a simple one. It's no longer the sexy spot it used to be. Losing and losing consistently does that to ya.

If there's a spot within the Tri-State Area that LeBron should consider, it's the Nets. Reasons are as follows (and yeah, I'm gonna be a homer here)...

A) Last season's record is not indicative of the talent that's present. There's a sound foundation upon which a winning team can be built. Brook Lopez is one of the better young bigs in the league and Devin Harris is an exceptional point guard.
B) Management's not going to screw him over the way Ferry and Gilbert did in Cleveland. The core nucleus is young and ready to run. On top of that, Thorn has shown he can build a winner before, as evident by the two runs to the NBA Finals the Nets made in 2002 and 2003.
C) They've got a Russian billionaire (that's Billion with a B ) who will spend the money needed to get a top notch coach to fill in for the departed Vandeweghe.
D) Playing in Newark for 2 years isn't THAT bad. Beats Cleveland, that's for damn sure. (/tongue_in_cheek)

If Stern's truly smart, he knows the best thing for his league is to have LeBron on a team that is WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS. It's incredibly unlikely if he goes to the Knicks, damn near impossible if he stays in Cleveland. I think the Nets and Bulls give him the best possible chances at getting multiple titles over the next 4-5 years.

Oh and I'm taking the Lakers to close out Phoenix tonight.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
NWAMike

Yeah, the Nets are another. They were doing good when Byron Scott was there, went to the finals two years in a row. If they had kept Jason Kidd around, they could have won a title. Lawrence Frank was kind of in over his head.

So LeBron there works and would have the biggest single season turnaround in sports history.

EDIT: Well, it's Celtics/Lakers in the finals.

Last edited by MAA : 05-30-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Well, it's Celtics/Lakers in the finals.
I was rooting for the Suns, I feel bad for Steve Nash.

Don't really know who to favor in the Celtics/Lakers.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendomark View Post
I was rooting for the Suns, I feel bad for Steve Nash.

Don't really know who to favor in the Celtics/Lakers.
It's going to be a great one, I think.

The Lakers compared to two years ago, have that added 'oomph' with the addition of Artest. (Finds myself laughing at those who thought Ariza for Artest was a bad move. It's only a bad move if you regress, not progress. They're back in the Finals with Artest and Ariza's been home since mid-April.)
One thing however that I think will go against L.A., well, there are a few actually...

A) No depth. Beyond Odom and Farmar, the Lakers bench is PAPER THIN. Boston conversely, does not have that problem. Nate Robinson emerged from the abyss to help put Orlando away in Game 6 Friday night. Rasheed Wallace has decided to give a shit and along with the maturation of Big Baby compared to two years ago...Boston's bench is ferocious.
B) Point Guard Susceptibility. The only consistent thing that has gone against the Lakers (but not enough to kill them obviously), has been the lack of a legitimate point guard. Now yes, Derek Fisher has played well in spurts, but he's no Spring chicken. He's older and every point guard that has played the Lakers has gotten off like a horny man in a strip club peep booth. In Round 1, they had to put Kobe on Russell Westbrook. Round 2, DeRon Williams was and wasn't a factor at the same time. (Utah just didn't have enough.) Conference Finals, Big Stevie Cool aka Steve Nash went nuts.

Against Double R aka Rajon Rondo and quite feasibly Nate Robinson, Boston has a superior advantage at the point. Rajon's vastly improved compared to where he was 2 years ago, when it was solely the Boston Three Party that was the focus. Now, it's the G-4 Unit up against Kobe/QB's Sickest (Artest)/Gasol/Odom. I don't usually agree with the talking heads often, but I think Rondo's definitively the X-Factor in this series or at least HALF of it. (I think Nate's the other.)
C) Bynum's inconsistency. I'm not sure whether it's totally the knee, but the later the Lakers get into the playoffs, the more his production dwindles. Not a great thing to say the least, especially when you need your bigs to get bigger as the season winds down. Boston doesn't have any seven footers to really push Bynum/Gasol and Odom down low, but Kendrick, KG, Big Baby and Sheed are far from pushovers.

Bynum MUST step up and step up in a major way if the Lakers are to exact revenge for their 2008 loss.

Now, having said all that...

I like Boston to win this series in 6. Payback's a strong issue here for Los Angeles, what with the massive ownage Boston's had historically over the Lake Show (9 out of 11 meetings and titles between these two teams, with the only two Laker victories coming in the 80s.). But in watching Boston throughout the playoffs, I see something that shows me they really NEED this. Not "want", but NEED. They NEED to get their crown back because I think they understand, this could be their last run together. With Ray being a free agent this Summer, I think Boston's looking to show that the only reason they're not pushing for a threepeat, is because of KG's injury last year.

Kobe's closing in on one for the thumb, but this year, I don't like his odds of beating Boston. Yes, this is a much better team he's leading in compared to the one two years ago. Yes, he's probably as hungry as he has ever been. Especially with all the talk about him being "old" and not having what he used to have in terms of his overall game. But again, Boston has looked hungry from the word "go". They're the first team since the 1995 Houston Rockets to knock out the top two teams in the Association that had the best record during the regular season (Orlando and Cleveland respectively). Those dominoes falling are what has the Lakers holding homecourt this time around, but I don't think it'll matter. Boston's a great road team and I think they take it in 6.