Go Back   Properly Promoted > Starscream & Friends > World of Wrestling
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 03:07 AM

i don't pay for ppv's but this is a very good deal for the first 6 months at least.
Will Raw and SD be part of the deal?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 AM
INTERNET GANGSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
There are smaller cable providers...
Must be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marvelous View Post
From what I understand, The Network will have a two-year archive of Raw and Smackdown. For example, this is 2014, so every Raw and Smackdown from 2012 and 2013 will be available on The Network. Hulu already offers the last year-plus (50-60) episodes of Raw and the same for Smackdown, Main Event, and NXT. So there is probably some contractual agreement with the networks (NBC?)for keeping the more recent content exclusive to Hulu. The Network will just allow you to go back two years more in the archive.

They are also advertising live pre- and post-shows for Raw, Smackdown, and PPVs. So I guess, The Network could help WWE take ownership of that stuff that usually becomes rumors or Youtube videos. Raw could effectively become a four-hour show for some viewers. But gone may be the days of false reports about who worked a dark match if you can just watch the hard camera pre-show match yourself. Or shaky phone video of Cena's post-show thank yous to the fans. Or it could just be interviews, shilling and video packages.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marvelous View Post
i don't pay for ppv's but this is a very good deal for the first 6 months at least.
(From the WWE.com FAQ): Will Raw, SmackDown and Main Event move to WWE Network? No, Raw, SmackDown and Main Event will continue to air on their current networks USA, Syfy and ION television, respectively.

Does anyone know what numbers/how many subscribers WWE is hoping for (for it to be considered a success)? Say if Wrestlemania 30 was going to get over 1 million buys... surely most of those buys will just subscribe to the Network instead? (probably what they're banking on, I should think).
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
INTERNET GANGSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O'Mac View Post
Does anyone know what numbers/how many subscribers WWE is hoping for (for it to be considered a success)?
No, regardless of what Meltzer will charge you to tell you about his email restrictions.

If I had to do something scientific, I'd say take the number of subscribers Netflix reportedly has (30-40 million) and the percentage of households tuned into Raw (3-5 million) that are Netflix subscribers (?%), and those would be the guaranteed upfront numbers. I'd guess 2.5 million on-launch subscribers (signed up in the first month) is realistic.

But again, success has more to do with a variety of factors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEN View Post
If paid subscribers stop watching, that's still bad for WWE. They still need those eyeballs for what will likely be all the built-in, subtle advertising for WWE Films, WWEShop, DVD releases, etc. $60 is $60 for the individual subscriber. But WWE is obviously hoping for a lot more return on that.
The numbers may fluctuate, but there are things they can do with viewers using gaming consoles, smartphones, tablets, etc. that generate revenue in other ways. So people watching is more important than people subscribing if some simple subscriber benchmark is reached.

Also, something that was brought up a while back (by D222rk) in another thread was that things like determining who really is a draw become instantly more quantifiable because of all the user data that will be at their disposal. TV has become a dated tool for measuring things like this. People will talk about how good a match is, or how they tuned in just to see a certain worker, but Raw actually lost viewers during that segment simply because of what quarter hour it ran during the show. That type of data could quickly reshape the product, perhaps favorably or even to the frustration of some viewers.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Azucar Dance Club Member and IHOP Stud ~twitterbang~

Send a message via MSN to Rafael122

1 million subscribers to break even, but they want 2-4 million subscribers.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM
INTERNET GANGSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael122 View Post
1 million subscribers to break even, but they want 2-4 million subscribers.
One million doesn't help them break even. Don't get stuck on Mania. One million would put them well over if it was all about Mania because they will still have traditional pay-per-view purchases. Only the WWE suits know what they are in for to break even on this investment. But I'd guess the six month commitment is pretty telling for when they would like to break even.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Are you arguing with yourself? :-P
Old 02-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Azucar Dance Club Member and IHOP Stud ~twitterbang~

Send a message via MSN to Rafael122

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEN View Post
One million doesn't help them break even. Don't get stuck on Mania. One million would put them well over if it was all about Mania because they will still have traditional pay-per-view purchases. Only the WWE suits know what they are in for to break even on this investment. But I'd guess the six month commitment is pretty telling for when they would like to break even.
That's what their Chief Financial and Strategy officer said:

Quote:
Barrios added that 800,000 to 1 million homes already buy two to three PPVs per year. With the annual cost of the network being just $10 more than two HD PPVs at the current price, it should be a no-brainer for most customers. Approximately 1 million subscribers is WWE Network's break-even point, and WWE's research apparently says that "it's within the realm of possibility" that they could get between 2 million to 4 million subscribers, per Wilson.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Coolest Guy Ever

Location: Arlington, VA (I would say DC, but Raf would get mad)

Barrios is way over with HEN.

The most decorated champion in the history of Properly Promoted
Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 PM

If the channel is a success, do you think WWE can negotiate to get exclusive/joint rights to RAW and SD?
thats the only thing I dont like about the deal. If I could watch the current programing on my own schedule that would make it 100x moe appealing. They have to know that people already do that on youtube and torrent anyway.