Go Back   Properly Promoted > Starscream & Friends > Mixed Martial Arts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Controversial as Barney

Default Misc. News...

...or maybe newz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sharratt / Eurosport
Matt Serra is a man in demand after revealing he is recovering well from his herniated disk, while Tito Ortiz has been offered a route back into the UFC...

First-up, rumours of Matt Hughes' demise might have been a touch premature. The former welterweight champion was thought to be considering his future in the sport after his second loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 79 on December 30.

But now the 34-year-old has admitted he still yearns for a fight against Matt Serra, the motormouth New Yorker for whom he built up a considerable disliking for during their spell of coaches on series 6 of The Ultimate Fighter.

"I've already talked to [UFC president] Dana White and [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo Fertitta, and we'll probably see what happens with Georges and Serra," Hughes said. "And if Serra loses, I might go against him. Nothing is set in stone, just an idea right now."

Any potential fight would be seven months away at the earliest, as Serra and GSP have had their welterweight title fight confirmed for UFC 93 in April in St. Pierre's home town of Montreal after Serra confirmed that his recovery from a herniated disc is going smoothly.

Meanwhile, in further fall-out from UFC 79, it was revealed that Nate Mohr, the talented 24-year-old lightweight, suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his defeat to Manny Gamburyan in Las Vegas.

THE RETURN OF THE BAD BOY?

Lyoto Machida's reward for extending his unbeaten MMA record to 12-0 with a submission win over Rameau Sokoudjou at UFC 79 is an offer to fight former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz. Machida has already accepted the fight and is awaiting acceptance from Ortiz.

Jacob Christopher Otiz, once MMA's hottest ticket-seller, has not fought since July 2007, when he drew with Rashad Evans at UFC 73, due to a "recurring injury" and has one fight left on his UFC contract. He was spotted ringside at the Mandalay Bay Events Center last week, applauding at the end of the epic Chuck Liddell - Wanderlei Silva brawl.

HORN STEPS UP AT LATE NOTICE

Veteran middleweight Jeremy Horn will return to the UFC on February 2 after stepping in at late notice to fight Nathan Marquardt in Las Vegas

Marquardt was due to face Thales Leites until Monday, when the Brazilian revealed a broken hand would force him out of the fight.

Horn has been out of the UFC since May 2006, when he beat Chael Sonnen. Since then, he has dropped in weight to 185 pounds been fighting in the International Fight League, where his most recent fight was a a submission setback versus Jorge Santiago last September.

BARONI: I'M NOT DONE YET

"New York Badass" Phil Baroni says he is considering offers from Showtime's EliteXC and a new promotion in Japan as he plots his return to the global top-table of MMA.

"I've received offers from Showtime and a new show in Japan that just opened up," he told punchdrunkgamer.com. "I'm trying to figure out what I am doing next, but first I need to get in shape before I can do anything.

"I just want to get back into a big organization and fight I have a lot of fights left in me. Now that I have my head and my experience I can make a good run. I want to win a big streak of fights in a row and win a major title in a major organization. Of course the UFC is everyone's first choice. I have a lot of fight left in me and I want to prove I am better than I've shown."

After a run of four defeats in the UFC from 2002 to 2005, Baroni bounced back with five wins in seven fights in PRIDE, although his career took a blow in the summer of 2007 when he tested positive for two types of anabolic steroids after a submission loss to Frank Shamrock in a high-profile co-promotion between EliteXC and Strikeforce.

ANOTHER NEW KID IN TOWN?

Bob Meyrowitz, the owner of the UFC from 1993-2001, and event promoter Live Nation have signed a deal to start their own MMA promotion. The name, first event, and goals of the promotion are expected to be announced shortly. Quite apart from playing a huge roll in the development of MMA, Meyrowitz is also the man credited with giving "Big" John McCarthy his nickname - for which we are all grateful.

Meanwhile, HDNet Fights has confimed that their upcoming February 15th show has been cancelled and as of this time there is no date set of a rescheduling.

Interesting fight match-ups announced this week:

Seven-time UFC veteran Pete Spratt taking on undefeated welterweight Ryan Ford in the main event of Maximum Fighting Championships 15: Rags to Riches

Kimbo Slice will brawl with veteran Tank Abbott in an anticipated slugfest in the EliteXC heavyweight division on February 16 in Miami.

Urijah Faber, a Californian with a superb 20-1 MMA record, taking on Jens Pulver in a future World Extreme Cagefighting lightweight title bout.

#PointlessNonTwitterHashtag
Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Azucar Dance Club Member and IHOP Stud ~twitterbang~

Send a message via MSN to Rafael122

Hughes probably realizes a fight against Serra will most likely be his last big payday. I think we should keep the MMA news in this thread.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Under Cover Mother Lovin'

Send a message via MSN to Jax

Why? We have a whole MMA forum, why keep the news in one single thread?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Why? We have a whole MMA forum, why keep the news in one single thread?
Ask Daaark.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Budweiser is now an official sponsor for the UFC, which is huge. One of the owners said in a recent interview that some major sponsors are coming on board with the company.

UFC Fight Night 13 fight announced:

Quote:
“The Ultimate Fighter 6” runner-up Tommy Speer (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), a former WEC fighter who was submitted by Mac Danzig in the show’s live finale last month, is expected to fight Anthony Johnson (4-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 13, an event that takes place April 2 — likely in Denver, Colo.

A source close to one of the fighters recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that bout agreements should be inked and the fight made official “soon.“

UFC Fight Night 13, which will serve as a lead-in for the upcoming seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” currently features a slew of other intriguing match-ups, including Stephan Bonnar vs. Matt Hamill, Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon, and Marcus Aurelio vs. Spencer Fisher.

Now, we can add one more potential stand-up battle.

As part of a team led by coach Matt Hughes, the 23-year-old Speer defeated Jon Koppenhaver, Ben Saunders and George Sotiropoulos to face teammate Danzig in the finals. Four years his senior and with twice as many professional fights, Danzig — a former King of the Cage veteran — submitted Speer with a rear-naked choke just two minutes into the fight.

The loss snapped Speer’s five-fight win streak (eight straight if you include his exhibition matches on the Spike TV reality series).

He’ll now take on Johnson, a 23-year-old Californian who splashed onto the UFC scene after just three professional fights. Competing in the octagon for the first time, he scored a quick, 13-second knockout of Chad Reiner at UFC Fight Night 10.

Johnson returned at UFC 76 in September, and despite dropping his opponent twice with punches, he was submitted in the second round by veteran fighter Rich Clementi.
Unofficial Number 1 Contender to the UFC Welterweight title, Jon Fitch signs on to fight Gono at UFC 82:

Quote:
Jon Fitch on Thursday, via his official website, confirmed that he has signed for his next fight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Although he stated, “I have signed my bout agreement to fight Akihiro Gono at UFC 82 on March 1 in Columbus, Ohio,” it has not yet been confirmed that Gono has signed his bout agreement.

The bout has long been rumored, but it is believed that Gono initial turned down the bout, but then just this week reconsidered and verbally accepted.

Currently ranked as the No. 4 welterweight fighter in the world by MMAWeekly.com and riding a 14-fight winning streak, Fitch has fallen victim to an overly crowded division that has thus far left him on the sidelines waiting for a title shot. With a 15-2 professional record and wins over the likes of Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves, Kuniyoshi Hironaka, Josh Burkman, Brock Larson, and others, Fitch has to be considered one of the strongest contenders in 170-pound weight class.

Starting his career in 1994, Gono is a seasoned veteran that has made his mark as more of a journeyman fighter than a contender. He has defeated fighters like Yuki Kondo, Ivan Salaverry, and in his UFC debut, Tamden McCrory, but he hasn’t been able to get over the hump when it comes to making his mark against the premier fighters in the world.

Fitch will be a difficult task for Gono, but the Japanese fighter’s heart and determination also makes him a tough opponent as well.

If Gono signs his bout agreement, the two will fight as part of the event headlined by a middleweight title bout between Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson.
Cung Le vs. Frank Shamrock

Quote:
Frank Shamrock will defend his Strikeforce middleweight title against Cung Le on the second Strikeforce and EliteXC joint show scheduled for March 29 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. according to Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports.

The event is expected to air live on Showtime and include two Strikeforce bouts, two EliteXC bouts, and one bout featuring a Strikeforce fighter against an EliteXC fighter. Meltzer stated that a news conference announcing the event is expected some time next week.

Shamrock last saw action when he defeated Phil Baroni in the main event of the first Strikeforce/EliteXC joint event on June 22, 2007. He choked Baroni unconscious towards the end of the second round.

Le has built a perfect record of 5-0 since venturing into mixed martial arts in early 2006. In his last bout, fighting for Strikeforce in November, he defeated Ultimate Fighter veteran Sam Morgan by TKO early in the third round.

Also expected to fight on the card are Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and contender Josh Thomson. The bout had previously been announced for March 29 at Strikeforce’s November show in San Jose.

Melendez has since lost to Mitsuhiro Ishida on New Year’s Eve. It is not yet known if that will affect the status of his bout against Thomson.

EliteXC fighter Jake Shields is also expected to fight on the card.
That fight is going to be awesome, can't wait.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM

I can see Shamrock schooling Lee on the ground. Budweiser being a sponsor hopefully attracts more big name sponsors, and fighter paydays can become even bigger.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM

I love how fighters are now making more money than ever before and yet they are still moaning about not being paid enough.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM

EliteXC signs Ryan and Ken Shamrock.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Coolest Guy Ever

Location: Arlington, VA (I would say DC, but Raf would get mad)

EliteXC signed Alicia Webb, or is there a real Ryan Shamrock?

The most decorated champion in the history of Properly Promoted
Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
EliteXC signed Alicia Webb, or is there a real Ryan Shamrock?
Ryan Shamrock is Ken's son.