Go Back   Properly Promoted > Starscream & Friends > Other Sports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Send a message via AIM to Len Grimey Send a message via Skype™ to Len Grimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael122 View Post
Dude, I follow the Wizards hardcore. Flip's a legit coach.

As evident by what happened in Dallas and Cleveland, they were right to move Butler and Jamison and Haywood. The team that was constructed could not get it done and they simply had to break it up.
Raf, you're cool peoples with me. You are.

But I can tell you without any real hesitation, Flip's as far from being a legit coach as Carlito is being a "legit" main eventer. (Bangs on wood, knowing he's a TNA signing away from doing just that.)

The Wizards essentially went as far as they could as they were constructed, before Gilbert's stupidity forced the fire sale that basically sends them back to the Bullets Age (as in when Wes Unseld ran them into the ground and beyond as an executive in the 90s). The Wiz just couldn't get around LeBron back when the man had spinal fortitude and rather than try to find ways to improve upon the existing model, they simply gave up and blew it up way too soon.

Butler and Haywood were probably the top prizes to be had in that fire sale, with Stevenson being a distant second. Jamison, most people forget, was dealt on draft night for Vince Carter. When you're being dealt on Draft Night for THAT guy, something's off. Antwan, for as long as I have followed him, has always been a #3. He was that way in Carolina, he was that way in Washington behind Gilbert and Caron, him being that way in Cleveland is part of the reason why LeBron and his "team" are marking off days until July 1 when they can bolt town.

Having said all that, I think it'd behoove Washington to NOT buy into the John Wall hype. I think Evan Turner is the smart money pick for #1, I just don't see "Franchise Changer" in John Wall. I will say that with the way things went last year and how the axe has dropped on certain coaches (Eddie Jordan unjustly in Philly for one), I'm rather surprised Flip hasn't gotten it in DC.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Azucar Dance Club Member and IHOP Stud ~twitterbang~

Send a message via MSN to Rafael122

I'm of the opinion they were going to blow it up anyway. They were not playing very well and it was just time to blow it up and start over.

Flip has taken the Pistons to the NBA Finals. The guy has credibility. You don't win 500+ games without being a good coach.

I don't think Wall is a generation type of player like Lebron is, but he's the consensus top pick and you take him. You have to. Evan Turner, you can find a guy like him every year. There's nothing that screams wow about Evan Turner. Wall? 6'4'' guard, 6'9'' wing span, terrific passer, can run the floor like no other. If the Wizards don't take Wall, I...I would probably stop watching sports. The Wizards sold 400 season ticket packages the day after the draft lottery.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
NWAMike

Celts can wrap it up tonight, and unlike the Bruins, they know how to close series.

And the Suns are alive after last night.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Quote:
I'm of the opinion they were going to blow it up anyway. They were not playing very well and it was just time to blow it up and start over.

Flip has taken the Pistons to the NBA Finals. The guy has credibility. You don't win 500+ games without being a good coach.

I don't think Wall is a generation type of player like Lebron is, but he's the consensus top pick and you take him. You have to. Evan Turner, you can find a guy like him every year. There's nothing that screams wow about Evan Turner. Wall? 6'4'' guard, 6'9'' wing span, terrific passer, can run the floor like no other. If the Wizards don't take Wall, I...I would probably stop watching sports. The Wizards sold 400 season ticket packages the day after the draft lottery.
Know who else has taken teams to the Finals in the last 5 years or so?

Avery Johnson. Mike Brown. Byron Scott. Know what all of them have in common? They're all looking for work right now. Taking a team to the Finals is like taking a stripper home, getting her there is half the battle. It's pointless if you don't score.

And on the Wall front, I'd be VERY careful with slapping the "LeBron" label on him. That's the equivalent of me slapping the "Carlito" label on one of the NXT newbs. If the Wizards don't take Wall #1, I'd call you a fool for ceasing to watch sports. I really don't know why folks are so quick to overlook Evan Turner, seriously. He came back from a broken back and put Ohio State on his back, nearly garnering Player of the Year honors. He did more with less at Ohio State than John Wall did with MUCH MORE (as many as four 'Cats could hear their names called by Da Commish in the 1st round of next month's draft) in Kentucky.

Ironically, you did mention the 'LeBron' name. I think Wall has it in him to AMAZE people moreso than he has it in him to "win" when it matters most. Evan Turner nailed a half court game winner in the Big Ten Tournament. 35 footers aren't exactly as easy as say, a hook shot ya know? All I'm saying is, be open minded. Your franchise is getting a mulligan for that whole Kwame Brown fiasco.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Azucar Dance Club Member and IHOP Stud ~twitterbang~

Send a message via MSN to Rafael122

Evan Turner is being compared to Brandon Roy. Roy is a very good player, but he has yet to put the team on his back and carry them to a ring. He may still do that, but the fact is, you can find a Brandon Roy every year, just like you can find an Evan Turner every year. Turner is going to be a very good player. Wall and Turner are 1 and 1A. However, you want an attraction, you want to pick a guy that will put butts in the seats. Wall can do that, AND he can play.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Quote:
Evan Turner is being compared to Brandon Roy. Roy is a very good player, but he has yet to put the team on his back and carry them to a ring. He may still do that, but the fact is, you can find a Brandon Roy every year, just like you can find an Evan Turner every year. Turner is going to be a very good player. Wall and Turner are 1 and 1A. However, you want an attraction, you want to pick a guy that will put butts in the seats. Wall can do that, AND he can play.
Honestly, that's not a bad comparison to make. From what I got to see of Evan at Ohio State, I think he's got a little more to his game than Brandon. A thing often overlooked with Brandon is that (especially this year), he has had to weather the load on his own. One man teams are good for MAYBE one round in the playoffs, but they're not carrying your franchise to a title. I'm interested in seeing what a healthy Oden can bring to Portland.

As for Wall and Turner, here's my thing.

I think you can sell tickets around either of those guys as your "franchise". But I feel that way too much is put on "selling tickets" when people forget that when you're WINNING, tickets sell themselves. People wants to see a winning team. You don't want to be that franchise that's only selling out because the visitor's got Kobe, Wade, LeBron, etc.. I think Wall's more apt to being that guy who will amaze you more than he'll "win" for you.

Oh and folks need to quiet that Boston/LA talk, because it's obviously pissing Phoenix off. Suns make it a Best of 3 series with two straight wins over Los Angeles, Game 5 THURSDAY!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

The bench was huge last night for the Suns. Channing Frye finally started making some shots.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Suplex City, Bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendomark View Post
The bench was huge last night for the Suns. Channing Frye finally started making some shots.
The Lakers cannot win this series if Phoenix's bench continues to outshine theirs. They cannot win this series if they can't figure out how to beat the zone Phoenix keeps throwing out there.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Boston needs to win Game 6, Orlando is trying to creep back into the series.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
NWAMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendomark View Post
Boston needs to win Game 6, Orlando is trying to creep back into the series.
First the Bruins, now this.

Boston is supposed to be the city of champions. They say it might be because Rondo is on the SI Cover this week.